Felted Vessels

This has been the final week of my online class about surface textures. We had to make a piece to demonstrate some of the techniques we had learned.
I had never made a vessel before so decided to challenge myself . I used corriedale wool over a resist to build the initial structure. Then I added some inclusions of merino and poodle hair under the final layer of wool to achieve a shadowing effect. The higher vessel also had a thick strand of romney wool added to provide more surface texture. Finally I added the shibori anemones (the flower shapes) and some stitching to highlight the textured surface.

The rear of the vessels also provided an opportunity to show-case some more technique:




I probably woudnt normally add a different pattern on the reverse side - but wanted to showcase as many of the techniques I had leaned as possible. What do you think?
I will include these in the local Art Groups gallery display next week-end.


Comments

Popular Posts