Colourful felted bag in multiple fibres






I decided to use up some dribs drabs of wool left over from other projects. First I created some merino pre-felts with one or two layers of wool and let them dry. Then I cut them into various shapes.
I made a tube with a mix of coloured merino and an inner of romney wool. I only felted two parts of the tube, leaving the middle and ends un-felted. I cut the tube in half to make the U shapes for the handles.

The resist I used was my standard resist pattern worked inside out. In other words, I put the embellishment down on the resist first and then added the other wool over the top. The wools are a mix of corriedal, merino, romney and poodle hair (for shadowing). Lastly I added a resist for the pockets (one on each side and the Ushapes to hold the handles. I had also made a skinny U shape to fasten over the button.

Because of the romney and corriedale it took a lot of rubbing, tossing and massaging to felt and full.

I actually fulled it twice - letting it dry first, then wet it down and fulled it again.

Attaching the handles was an interesting experiment.The handle was made in three parts, first the long middle section, using romney, corriedale and merino, I did the middle but left about four fingers width at either end unfelted. Then I made a similar tube to the Ushape. Unfelted in the middle and both ends.  I cut these in half and threaded them through the Ushapes already attached to the bags. Then felted them to the long tube.
Unfortunately the handle is a bit long for me so I will have to do it again. Next time I will pay more attention to how I thread the handle through the U. They need to be threaded in opposite directions. (eg  from inside out on both sides). Live and learn!

When it was still damp I ironed it into shape and shaved some of the colours as the corriedale had migrated through.

Comments

Popular Posts