Dyeing Roving in the Microwave


I have been experimenting with merino roving in the microwave for about three years.
The wool didn't felt - but it did come out very "tough" making it hard to get an even coverage of felt when laying it out.
Lately I've started to document the process to work out what works (and what doesnt!).
My results have improved and I now have much softer and fluffier  roving - even without teasing it out with my fingers. I thought I'd share my method:
1. The town water where I live is very hard and full of chemicals so I started using rain water and it gives a much better product.

2. I make up my dye in the following quantities : for 50gms of roving I use 1/2 teas of protien dye (I use Landscape) to 11/2 cups of boiling water. I make this in a glass jar and allow it to cool to room temperature.

3. While the dye is cooling I measure out my roving into 50gm portions and roll it lightly into a ball to keep it together during the soaking process. I can do about 200gms of wool in my microwave at once. I soak each of the rolls in rainwater with about 1/2 cup vinegar added.

4. When the dye is cool I very carefully remove each roll from the water by slipping my palm underneath and letting the excess water run through my hands. I dont squeeze it or compress it in any way.

5. I fill medium sized sandwich bags with the dye and add about 1/3 cup of vinegar. Then I gently slip the wool into the bag and move it (very gently) to distribute the dye.

6. Using a large microwave safe dish, I place each bag of wool/dye inside (I can accommodate 4 bags in my dish) and microwave it for 2 minutes on a power of 8.

7. After each two minute zap I allow a few minutes before repeating the process.

8. After 8 minutes cooking I check to see if the dye has exhausted and remove any bags where the water is clear. I repeat the two minute cooking process until all the dye is exhausted.

9. I remove the bags and allow them to cool to room temperature before rinsing.

10. I fill a large open bowl with rainwater and gently slip the wool into the bowl. I dont stir or agitate in any way - just allow it to soak for a few hours.Depending on how much dye is released into the water I may need to repeat this process several times.

11. Finally I remove the wool (again just cupping it in my palm) and place it to drain on a thick folded towel for 8 hours or over night.

12. Finally I drape it over a coat hanger and hang it in the sun and wind to dry.

Yes - it does take a bit of effort and care to get the process right - but it does result in fluffy, soft roving.

Comments

Popular Posts