Using Handspun in the Felting Process


 For years I have resisted the urge to buy a spinning wheel. Not that I dont want one. But if I spin wool then I have to use it and my knitting skills are average, at best.

Instead I have used a small hand spindle. It provides me with enough yarn to use for felting and it is very portable. It is also a great conversation starter on trains, planes and doctor's surgeries as folk ask "what are you doing?"

Previously I've used plyed yarn in my felt to add texture and contrast. But recently I used it un-plyed and achieved two different effects.

On this bag I used the yarn, unwashed and undyed.

The yarn has sunk into the wool with no raised surface at all but added an interesting colour effect.

I've called this effect scribbly gum after the iconic Australian eucalypt.

On this nuno felted scarf I have used yarn that has been soaked and stretched a little by hanging a light weight on the hank.

The yarn is well connected through the felting process but provides a raised surface, adding both texture and colour. The orange yarn I dyed when I dyed the roving so it was soaked, dyed, rinsed and then dried with a weight. The blue I spun straight from dyed roving.

I tried to add the blue yarn straight from my spindle but the twist was too great and it wouldnt lie flat. I soaked it and weighted it before it could be used.

I dont think either dyeing the spun yarn or dyeing the roving and then spinning made much difference. Either way it opens up a myriad of possibilities for adding both texture and colour to felt.



Comments

Popular Posts