Dyeing Roving in the Slow Cooker

 

The first thing many people ask me is “Why bother?” and of course they are right. There are many online stores selling dyed roving in a rainbow of colours.

I lead a busy life. Felt making has to be sandwiched in between full time work, family responsibilities and community interests. When I find a few hours free to felt I need to be able to start work immediately. Of course if I was very well organised I would have ordered my wool, in exactly the right colour for my latest project weeks ago. But…. I’m not! And I hate waiting for the postman to arrive to start work on a project.

Of course it does take time and preparation to dye your own wool but I find it much easier to dye the roving I need, in the colour and weight I need than to try to order well beforehand.

Today I keep a stash of natural wool in three micron weights so that I always have the wool I need, when I am ready to start felting.

Equipment you will need:

A good sized slow cooker. Don’t, I repeat, Don’t use the slow cooker you use for making your family stew. Dyes are poisonous and you should keep separate utensils for dyeing. Having said that, second hand shops are a good source of slow cookers and any other utensils you will need for dyeing.



Protein dyes. I use Landscape as they are readily available, are consistent in quality and have a great range of colours.



I started with just some basic colours: black, red, yellow, blue which allowed me to blend them to get a variety of shades.  Landscape produce a colour card which is very helpful when deciding which dyes to use.

A large tub or bowl for soaking wool. You can just soak the wool in your laundry trough, but we recently had a plumber in to unblock a drain which was full of wool fibres! Since then, I have used a large tub.

A Wooden spoon (only used for dyeing).

Set of scales.

Jug for mixing dye (again only used for dyeing)

Small spoon for scooping out the dye

Plastic colander

White Vinegar

Old towels, plastic sheeting for covering benches



Step 1

Weigh your wool on the scales (I use the plastic colander on the scales to make this easier). It is important to get the weight of your wool so you can calculate how much dye to use. My slow cooker will take 200gms of wool at a time.

Soak your wool in the tub with approx. 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Gently press the wool into the water. It is important that the wool is thoroughly wet all the way through the roving. If it isn’t completely wet you’ll end up with white spots. I try to leave my wool overnight or soak it for a full day.



I will gently press the wool into the water three or four times. But a word of warning; once the wool is wet you should handle it as little as possible.








Step 2.

Gently coax the wet wool into the colander using the end of the wooden spoon. It is important that you touch the wool as little as possible. Allow it to drain while you prepare the dye.

Step 3

Follow the quantity instructions on the dye container. For 200gms of wool I use 20gms of Landscape dye. Weigh the dye powder into your glass jug and add about a cup of near boiling water. Stir to dissolve with your wooden spoon. Add approximately half a cup of white vinegar to the dissolved dye. *





Step 4

Half fill the slow cooker with warm water and switch on to low setting. Add the dye/vinegar mix and stir thoroughly with the wooden spoon. Slowly ease the wet roving into the dye bath, using the wooden spoon to lift the roving and slide it slowly into the dye. This allows the dye to “take”. If you plop it all in at once you will end up with white spots. Gently poke it with the wooden spoon to ensure it is all submerged.






Step 4.

Wait. Lighter colours will take less time to be absorbed than dark colours. Yellow, light blue and green will take 2-3 hours. Dark colours, red and black, can take up to 6 hours. You will know the process is complete when the water is perfectly clear without any trace of colour.

·         The amount of vinegar required seems to vary with the darkness or depth of colour. If the process seems to be taking longer than you’d expect add another 1/3 of a cup of vinegar and stir very gently.


Step 5

When the water is perfectly clear, turn off the slow cooker, remove the lid and allow the water to cool.

When the water is at room temperature, fill your tub or large bowl with cold tap water. Gently coax the roving into the colander and allow to drain, then slide it into the tub of fresh water to rinse. The rinse water should be clear, but repeat this process two or three times, leaving the wool in the rinse water for at least ten minute intervals. Resist the temptation to touch the wool. Use your wooden spoon and colander to drain the wool between each rinse. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to the final rinse water and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain again in your colander.

Once drained of all excess water, turn out gently to sit on a folder bath towel for half an hour or so (The longer you leave it the faster it will dry)





Step 6

Hang you roving on a coat hanger, preferably in a spot with good air movement. Windy days produce lovely fluffy roving! When it is completely dry store, ready for use.






Things I have learned:

The less you handle the roving once it is wet the fluffier it will be.

All of the dye must be absorbed before the process is complete. If the water is not clear your wool will bleed dye when it is being felted.

Dense/dark colours take longer  - don’t rush the process but add additional vinegar if it seems to be taking a very long time.

Drying the wool in a spot with good breeze results in fluffier roving. If the wind isn’t blowing a hair dryer on cool setting also works.

Dyeing more than one colour at a time

I have found that I can dye small quantities of multiple colours by using two or three thick yoghurt or ice cream containers side by side in the slow cooker. You will need to experiment with the size of the container. Using three rectangular yoghurt containers I can get 50gms of wool in each. Add water to the slow cooker to form a water bath before adding the containers containing the wool and dye.


Have a few questions? Send me a message or contact me through my FB page Shear_Indulgence Felt Art

 

 






Comments

Popular Posts